Ultraviolet technology. Since its discovery in the 1870s, ultraviolet C light (UVC) has been a reliable method for disinfecting hard surfaces. Its effectiveness in purifying municipal water was first recognized by the French in 1908 due to microbial contamination within their water source.
UV technology has now become an essential component of water purification systems, especially in industrial settings such as aquaculture, petrochemical, marine, and shipping industries. One of the most significant advantages of UV water treatment is that it does not require the use of chemicals, making it ideal in situations where chlorine disinfection is not an option. UVC light is capable of emitting powerful energy that can dismantle DNA at the genetic level, leading to the eradication of harmful microorganisms. However, beyond its efficacy in killing bacteria, there are numerous other benefits of incorporating ultraviolet technology in water purification systems that should be taken into consideration.
How ultraviolet technology can be used effectively in pure water systems:
- Disinfection. Using ultraviolet radiation with a 254nm wavelength is a well-known and effective method for eliminating bacteria in water treatment. UV water purification can remove up to 99.9% of microorganisms, including viruses and pathogenic bacteria.
- TOC Reduction. The USP regulations mandate a maximum TOC limit of 500ppb for both Purified Water and WFI. TOC reduction can be achieved using a 185nm UV wavelength that is appropriately sized and designed for this application.
- Ozone Destruction. The utilization of ozone is widely employed as a means of pretreating water, effectively sanitizing it, and enabling its safe re-circulation within systems.
- Chlorine/Chloramines Destruction. Although chlorine and chloramines are added to city water to control bacteria levels, they can have negative impacts on the degradation of membrane filtration or RO. To combat this, UV technology can be utilized to destroy chlorine and chloramines by using UV light in the pre-membrane filtration or RO make-up water stream.
Benefits of using ultraviolet technology in water purification systems:
- Compact. The utilization of UV technology in the Neu-Ion water purification systems is a highly efficient and discreet method. With its compact design, it seamlessly integrates into the system without causing any disruption. This non-intrusive approach ensures that the water is purified to the highest standard without any negative impact on its quality.
- No internally moving parts. UV technology utilized in water purification systems is characterized by its unique self-contained and stationary design, which differs from other methods that rely on moving parts. Additionally, this technology employs a replaceable UV lamp to ensure optimal performance and efficiency.
- Contains no chemicals. If your industry cannot use chlorine or other biocides due to safety concerns or regulations, then UV disinfection is a fantastic alternative. It eliminates the need for potentially harmful chemicals while still providing effective disinfection. This method uses ultraviolet light to destroy microorganisms, making it an ideal solution for industries that prioritize safety and sustainability.
Is ultraviolet technology the right choice for your organization? UV water filtration systems are highly effective in removing harmful bacteria, viruses, and microorganisms from water used in daily business processes. This technology ensures that the water is crystal clear and free of unpleasant odors, making it an ideal solution for various industries. In sectors such as biotechnology, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, educational research, data centers, and industrial environments, the necessity for pure water is crucial. Ultraviolet technology is the go-to choice for meeting regulatory requirements and ensuring that day-to-day operations that depend on clean water are uninterrupted.
An ultraviolet water purification system can be a great asset to your organization, ensuring the quality of your water for important daily business practices. With UV technology, you can trust that your water is purified and safe to use. If you have questions or or would like to speak to Neu-Ion in more detail about UV technology, please give us a call at (410) 944-5200. Our team can also set up a lunch and learn that may be beneficial for your company.